First Appearance

How many young lawyers can say that their first appearance in court was before the Highest Tribunal in the land? Not many. I feel lucky to be one of them.

Of course my participation was negligible. I was one out of the twenty lawyers (more or less) that appeared for the State. I did not even speak. But despite the fact that my contribution was limited to helping the team carry voluminous files, I was ecstatic. I was in awe just to be there. I was fascinated by everything; the walls, the ceilings, the benches and the fact that those who sat in front had to wear togas. I tried to observe all the justices, the opposing counsels and all the other people watching. I was able to spot important government officials in the audience too. Honestly, I felt more like a kid out on a fieldtrip.

Anyway, the order of the Supreme Court stated the appearances made, what transpired during that session and required all the parties to file their respective manifestations. When a copy of that order arrived in my desk, I automatically highlighted my name, for I don’t know when a thing like this will happen again.

No comments: